Wednesday 26 April 2017

Top Five Films For 2017

Deary me, I'm a bit late this year with my now-tradition look at the five films I'm most looking forward to over the coming year. So late, in fact, that one of them is already out (only just though, and I still haven't seen it) - oops! Well anyway, it's looking like a pretty good year, especially for comic/superhero fans with two DC efforts and three from Marvel. Will the DCEU finally be able to make up some ground on the relentless Marvel leviathan? There are also a few good (looking) sequels, remakes, and even some all-original films on the way. It should be an entertaining year for film fans anyway, with a lot to choose from. These are probably the five I'm most looking forward to seeing. What are your choices?

5. Alien Covenant (May)

The franchise remains a treasured one for many but the Alien series been through the wringer a bit over the years. It's still only the first two films that are really good isn't it? I rather liked Prometheus too, personally, but many didn't so I imagine this sequel may well be approached with caution by them. I'm looking forward to it though, especially as it sees Ridley Scott's return to the series for the first time since the original, waaay back in 1979. It looks quite similar to that classic too, except it mostly takes place on terra firma: brave explorer finds room full of eggs, face-hugger says good morning, alien bursts out of chest, many others get picked off one-by-one, etc. I can't imagine too many were expecting much else though, and as long as it's done well I'm confident it will be spiffing. (see official trailer here)

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming (July)

Ooof, I'm starting to lose track of all the Spider-Man reboots this century! Well, I suppose this time it happened in Captain America Civil War first, technically, but this is New Spidey's first solo film and it looks surprisingly good so far. It looks like he spends the first half of the film arsing around, getting used to his skills, perhaps helping a few minor crims get pinched, but of course it's not too long before a more serious threat emerges. It's nice to see a new bad guy too - I was kind of expecting another version of the Green Goblin or Doc Ock. Like many others, I was also a bit sceptical about Tom Holland to start with but, as we've already seen, he has turned out to be a good fit for the role. At least he actually looks like a school kid! Looking forward to seeing much more of him here... (see official trailer here)

3. John Wick 2 (February)

Oh dear, I'm in such a kerfuffle this year that I've missed this one altogether! Well, in the cinema at least, which is rather irksome considering how keen I am to see it. It took me a while to get around to watching the first one too, admittedly, but I've still ended up a fan of it so the prospect of seeing the titular anti-hero exact his brutal vengeance on another set of bumbling criminal oafs is a mighty appealing one! That basically includes just about all the hoodlums and shady occupants of the criminal underworld this time too, as some disgruntled former customer has apparently put a sizeable contract out on Mr. Wick. A third film has already been confirmed so I suppose it's likely he emerges victorious once again, but lord only knows what sort of body count we'll be looking at. Will there even be any bad guys left for a third film? Let's see! (see official trailer here)

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (May)

I'm actually a little surprised that I'm looking forward to this one so much. I wasn't hugely enamoured by the first film on initial viewing for some reason. Perhaps it was the weak story. Oh well, whatever it was, it did the trick the second time around with its collection of likeable characters, humour, and stunning effects winning me over. A sequel was inevitable of course, and due to my complacency with this list it's actually out this coming weekend I believe! I don't know too much about it (on purpose) but it's long been known that it will feature Peter Quill's father who will be played by Kurt Russell, and this will no doubt facilitate another epic, explodey, not to mention funny adventure! I have to assume Guardians will soon tie in with the Avengers films too, prior to Infinity Wars; will we see something about that here? Well, whatever happens, I think we're in for a great time! (see official trailer here)

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (December)

The Force Awakens seemed to be greeted with much enthusiasm upon its release 18-odd months ago but opinions have apparently been changing in the intervening time. I still love it though, and I'm therefore looking forward to its sequel very much. Surprisingly, its teaser trailer has only just been released (much later than TFA's was) and it doesn't show a great deal either, so details are thin on the ground, but it seems obvious we will see much more of Luke Skywalker. Perhaps we will even hear him say a few words this time too. No doubt we'll catch up with most of the characters from the previous film as well, notably Rey who presumably will be part-way through her training which will surely be splendid to behold, and perhaps we will get some more Kylo Ren hissy fits too, when his and Snoke's dastardly plans are (probably) foiled. Quite what will be the implications of the title will be, though, remains to be seen, but I can't wait to find out! (see official trailer here)

And there's more! I'm also looking forward to Geostorm, a new Dean Devlin disaster film, the long-awaited sequel to a British classic in T2 Trainspotting, two more DC efforts, Justice League and Wonder Woman, the latest in the long running Fast & Furious series, The Fate of the Furious, what is supposedly Hugh Jackman's final appearance as the iconic Wolverine in Logan (which I've now seen), the third (and probably final) solo Thor film, Thor: Ragnarok, the third (but not final) installment of monkey business with War for the Planet of the Apes, the controversial live action US remake of Ghost in the Shell, the pretty splendid-looking sequel to King Kong, Kong: Skull Island (it certainly has a cool poster at least!), the possibly-ill-advised sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 classic, Blade Runner 2049, Alien-esque sci-fi thriller, Life, Edgar Wright's latest, Baby Driver, sci-fi comedy, Colossal (just released, in fact), and no doubt many more...
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the previews. Agreed they all look great, however I would have substituted JW2 with Blade Runner 2049! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hopeful that will be great as well but I'm a little less confident that I am about JW2. Have you seen the first one?

    ReplyDelete