Thursday 6 November 2014

Splendid Master System Music #1

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)

Some time ago now I wrote about the intensely nostalgic feeling I had when I heard a much-loved piece of Master System music again for the first time in many years, and this past weekend it happened again! Okay, perhaps the feeling wasn't nearly as pronounced this time but I was still very pleasantly surprised to be reminded of this fantastic piece by industry legend, Yuzo Koshiro. It was featured in both the Master System and Game Gear versions of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, specifically the 'Bridge Zone', and must surely count among the finest pieces of Master System music I've heard. Check out its splendour thus:

(full Sonic MS review here)



Special Note: I didn't record this great tune myself, I'm just an admirer, so all credit goes to the original composer

6 comments:

  1. Notice how much a certain piece of popular music sounds like this? I wrote a big bloody thing about it, several years ago:
    http://www.retrocollect.com/Articles/sega-hiding-in-popular-music.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far out man, I never even thought about that kind of thing. I guess it probably happens more than we realise though, or more than I realised at least! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonic 2 for the Master System/Game Gear has the original "supersonic warrior" theme that was later used in the Japanese and European intro for Sonic CD as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never played Sonic 2 on the 8-bits actually, just the first game. I guess I should since it's supposed to be rather good :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, lots of nice little gimmicks - for a start, the first level ISN'T a green countryside sort of place! Unthinkable for a platformer, I know.

      Delete
  5. Wow, unthinkable indeed! How can a platform game NOT have a grassy first stage? That's so unnatural I find it very unnerving :|

    ReplyDelete